The Hamburg-Dammtor Station was built between 1901 and 1903. Government Superintendent of Civil Engineering Schwartz and the architect Rüdell designed this totally symmetrical station. The light colored sandstone façades on the ground level, the delicate, immense glass surfaces with pillars clad in sandstone and the monumental center façade area resulted in a marvelous civil engineering project for the railroad. This solid 112 meter / 367 foot long Jugendstil building was Hamburg's presentation station at which such high guests as Kaiser Wilhelm II were received when he wanted to attend the Hamburg Trade Fair. When the Kaiser stepped off of his train here for the first time, he is supposed to have said, "Looks rather nice." Typical Prussian understatement meant as high praise. Special princely rooms on the ground floor had been set up for the reception of high royalty. The English King Edward VII was also received here in 1904. Based on a similar situation in Berlin, bi-level stations came into being through the city, when the four-track expansion of the connecting rail line was built. The waiting room area was at street level, while the platforms were situated above it. This did away with the need for grade crossings and crossing gates in the city. At the dedication on July 7, 1903, there was a simultaneous celebration of the closing of the old Dammtor Station and the opening of the new magnificent station shed. Today many Hamburgers and railroad enthusiasts regard this freshly renovated station now as ever as the Hamburg's secret main station. From the Kaiser's train to the classic F-Zug express with a V 200, to the elegant VT 11.5, from the legendary 103 with Intercity trains to the ICE, the prototype of our station has seen it all, the classics of the rails. It therefore also offers a worthy stage for the appearance of the classic stars of every model railroad collection. Despite its imposing size, this station is just right for a model railroad, since no additional space next to the tracks is required for the head house with its waiting rooms.