The Prussian P 10 was the last design for a passenger locomotive by the Prussian State Railroad and at the same time formed the transition to the standard design locomotives, classes 01 and 03. The P 10 was the result of the need to haul heavy trains in hilly country with long grades. It was the only passenger locomotive class with eight coupled driving wheels and the most powerful passenger locomotive on the German provincial railroads. As the "Queen of the Mittelgebirge Mountains" it not only pulled express trains right into Berlin, but was also active in Silesia, Saxony, and Thuringia, as well as in Baden, Bavaria, and Württemberg. By 1927, a total of 260 locomotives were built by different locomotive builders. The first design drawings were available, however, as early as 1919. This class was first designated by the German State Railroad Company (DRG) as the class 17 and later as the class 39. The majority of these locomotives were still in use on both German railroads long after the end of the Second World War. Many of them on the German Federal Railroad (DB) were equipped with the small Witte smoke deflectors and standard design type 2"2"T34 tenders. In the summer of 1967, the last of these locomotives was retired.