The class V 188 double locomotives (from 1968 on: class 288) enriched the motive power roster of the German Federal Railroad until 1972 as exotic diesel electric units with a remarkable past. Three of these double locomotives survived the war, and two of them were overhauled at Krauss-Maffei between 1948 and 1951. The DB assigned them the road numbers V 188 001a/b (former D 311.03A/B), V 188 002a/b (former D 133.04A/B), and V 188 003a/b (former D 311.02A/B). The last unit mentioned was not overhauled but was kept a long time for spare parts. The two overhauled locomotives were initially assigned to the Aschaffenburg District and were used there for pusher service on the Spessart grade between Laufach and Heigenbrücken. Starting in 1953, they were used somewhat less successfully to haul freight trains to Schweinfurt, Bamberg, and Dillenburg. The old MAN motors increasingly caused problems. The two locomotives were therefore equipped with new 1,000 horsepower (later 1,100 horsepower) Maybach motors by 1957/58 as well as new transmissions from Gmeinder. After that, they worked very well and they were used by the end of 1958 in the Aschaffenburg District, then in the Gemünden District, and from 1967/68 on in the Bamberg District in heavy freight service. After sustaining larger amounts of damage the two war veterans had to be retired on September 25, 1969 (288 001) and on June 15, 1972 (288 002) as part of the general program to rationalize the motive power. A little while later, they were scrapped.