DRG Freight Service -
Era II for the German State Railroad Company (DRG) extended from 1920 to 1945. The image of freight trains from this era was very much characterized by long consists of two-axle cars. Freight cars with more axles or with trucks were the exception then. The consists usually conveyed the image of a colorful mix of all kinds of different car designs, because the individual provincial railroads participated in the founding of the DRG with their existing pools of cars. The DRG also introduced air brakes on all of the cars. Although this innovation did away with the need for protection against the weather for brakemen, the brakeman's cabs remained for a long time even on rebuilt cars.
In addition, the freight train service that went all over Germany now under the DRG management made for a large variety of cars on the railroad, because transport by road was hardly an alternative at that time. Hence, at that time almost any kind of freight you could imagine was shipped by rail, particularly over long routes. The variety in loads resulting from this situation also provided a colorful look to freight train consists.