At the start of the Fifties, the new DB had more than 20,000 passenger cars from the former provincial railroads, and these cars were of limited use only due to wear and tear or war damage. The rebuilding of German under the Federal Republic demanded cars for commuter service, but the finances were lacking for such an extensive effort, and designs were not ready for new commuter cars.
The solution was an extensive rebuilding program, which was used starting in 1953 to produce standard design, modern, reasonably priced cars from the different provincial railroad car types. The three-axle frames were standardized and had new, flat wall bodies built on them with three different interiors: 3rd class, 2nd and 3rd class, as well as 3rd class with a baggage area. The cars were always assembled in pairs and wired symmetrically. In this way, they corresponded to the length of the new cars being built with a length of 26.4 meters / 86 feet 7-3/8 inches.
Six thousand five hundred individual cars were built in 5 years, and they made up passenger trains and fast passenger trains ("Eilzüge") in all of West Germany until the beginning of the Eighties.