It was called the German Crocodile, which every railroad expert recognizes as a compliment. The E 94 was used on practically all of the hilly and mountainous routes in Germany. A total of 197 units were placed into service from 1940 to 1956, and the last one was retired in 1988. One of the last of these locomotives, and the prototype for our model, is the road number 194 158-2. It escaped the being scrapped, because an enthusiastic woman locomotive engineer bought it from the scrap dealer. This E 94 was restored step by step from the ground up and was put back into running condition: The transformer, electrical circuits, controls, engineer's cabs, braking system, superstructures, running gear. After several years of work during evenings, weekends, and vacations by the Historic Railroad Locomotives/Cars Association (historische Eisenbahnfahrzeuge e. V.) team and with the support of the Neuss Railways, Siemens, and the Austrian Federal Railways facilities in Linz, the locomotive now once again gleams in the original condition, as it did on the former German Federal Railroad. After provisional acceptance by the railroad, full permission for the locomotive's operation was given in August of 2001 by the German Federal Railroad Office.