Maffei delivered 107 locomotives with four driving wheels and a single-axle pilot truck to the Bavarian State Railways between 1863 and 1871. Technically, the B VI differed only slightly from the predecessor class, the B V. The driving wheel diameter was increased from 1,462 mm / 57-9/16" to 1,616 mm / 63-5/8" and the service weight went up one metric ton to 31 tons. Likes its predecessor, the B VI could be fired with coal as well as with peat. After the installation of replacement boilers, the permissible steam pressure went from 116 to 145 pounds per square inch. The B VI was used primarily to pull passenger trains in regular service. It was soon demoted by faster locomotives to less important service. The B VI began to be pulled from service as early as 1895 and this process went on into the Twenties. Two units active in maintenance train service survived into the temporary numbering system for the German State Railroad as road numbers 34 7461 and 34 7362, and they were soon retired after the new numbering system took effect in 1925. One unit, 34 316, wrote railroad history. This locomotive bore the name "Tristan" and pulled the Royal Court Train for Ludwig II, when his Majesty went on a trip.