Between 1863 and 1871, Maffei supplied the Bavarian State Railways with 107 locomotives with a single-axle pilot truck and 2 coupled driving axles. Technically, the B VI was only slightly different than its predecessor class, the B V. The diameter of the driving wheels increased from 1,462 mm / 57-9/16" to 1,616 mm / 63-5/8", and service weight increased to 31 metric tons. Like its predecessor, the B VI could be fired with coal as well as with peat. After the installation of replacement boilers, the permissible steam pressure was increased from 8 to 10 bar or from 116 to 145 pounds per square inch.
The B VI primarily hauled passenger trains in regular service. Faster locomotives soon pushed it down to lower levels of passenger train service. The railroad started retiring class B VI locomotives in 1895 and continued to withdraw them from service into the 1920s. Two units active in maintenance service made it into the provisional numbering system of the German State Railroad as road numbers 34 7461 and 7362, and were retired shortly after the new numbering system went into effect in 1925. One locomotive, road no. 316, made railroad history. Christened "Tristan", this locomotive hauled the court train of Ludwig II, when his majesty went on trips.