Class 50 Steam Freight Locomotive The class 50 locomotive came into being shortly before the start of World War II as the last of the so-called "standard design steam locomotives". From April to July of 1939 Henschel built the first twelve locomotives which was soon destined to become the German State Railroad's most successful design, because this 2-10-0 locomotive with its approximately 1,600 horsepower and 80 km/h / 50 mph speed quickly became a general-purpose, sturdy, reliable unit. The outbreak of war on September 1, 1939 caused a leap in the demand for freight locomotives, and the twelve pre-production locomotives were followed by another 3,152 units over the course of the next few years. After the end of the war the DB had more than 2,000 units, which were gradually equipped with the small Witte in place of the large Wagner smoke deflectors, and which mostly lost the running board skirting. The so-called freight train baggage cars were not available in sufficient quantities and formed a big problem on freight trains in the Fifties. Finally, the idea came about of installing a cabin on the 751 tenders of the class 50 units for the train crews. Two large windows ensured a good view to the rear of the train and inside the cabins, there was still room for large work surfaces with table lamps, upholstered folding seats, two emergency seats, a folding washbasin, a ceiling light, two shelves, steam heating, hot plates for heating meals, a water container, and clothing hooks. The class 50 units with or without cabin tenders remained "the" all-round steam locomotives for freight and passenger trains on main and branch lines right up to the end of the steam locomotive era in 1977.