A total of 31 class E 75 locomotives were placed into service starting in 1927. These units were equipped with a continuous main frame in which both of the groups of driving wheels were mounted. Two each 20-pole motors for each group powered the driving axles through an intermediate gear, a jackshaft, and side rods and the locomotive's continuous performance was 1,600 kilowatts / 2,145 horsepower. The maximum speed was 70 km/h or 44 mph with a service weight of 106 metric tons. Originally, these units were used chiefly in passenger service. In later years of service, the class E 75 units went into freight service due to their limited maximum speed.