In Honor of the Old Master. Carl Bellingrodt, born April 7, 1897 in Cologne, was undoubtedly one of the most famous German railroad photographers. He began to photograph various subjects as early as before World War I, but soon specialized in landscapes and above all railroad photography. Although he was a government official and pursued photography as a hobby, he amassed more than 30,000 images over the course of his activity, and many of them rank among the classic masterpieces. In addition to his systematically generated groups of images of entire classes of locomotives, his images of the railroad in a landscape as well as his extremely dense photographs of stations with their typical environment achieved near cult status. In this manner Carl Bellingrodt set the style for many other railroad photographers, many of whom still make the pilgrimage to the beloved "Bellingrodt photography sites" in order to photograph the trains of our time in the classic perspective of the old master. Märklin has been carrying out plans for a special five-part series of sought-after H0 models in memory of this railroad photograph pioneer, who died on September 24, 1971 in Wuppertal and who will certainly live on in the memory of many people for a long time. One locomotive per year has been produced as a limited series in exquisite detailing and with premium technical features. Each of these models is delivered with a decorated display case with the Bellingrodt photograph of the locomotive in question mounted on the back wall of the case. In front of this in the lower part of the case is a glass display floor on which the model can be attractively presented. This allows a direct comparison between the Bellingrodt photograph of the prototype locomotive and the exquisite reproduction as a model. The glass front wall offers effective protection against dust.
In the second half of the Thirties the demand increased greatly for fast locomotives for the DRG's network of long distance and regular express trains. The existing class 01 and 03 two-cylinder standard design locomotives were only partially suitable for the planned express service. After the good results with the partially and fully streamlined experimental locomotives with road numbers 03 154 and 03 193, the DRG decided to have a three-cylinder streamlined Pacific with a maximum speed of 150 km/h / 94 mph developed out of the two-cylinder class 01. The production of 1,000 steam locomotives was then planned as part of a truly gigantic procurement program for 1939. Part of this program was the purchase of 205 units of the new 4-6-2 streamlined locomotive with three-cylinder running gear as the class 01.10.
BMAG (formerly Schwartzkopff) in Berlin was given the contract to design and build the new locomotive. The prototype locomotive, road no. 01 1001, was ready in July of 1939; by the fall of 1940 another 54 units had followed it. World War II excluded further production. These units initially were assigned to Berlin, Bebra, Dresden, Erfurt, Frankfurt (Oder), Halle, Hamburg-Altona, Hannover, Leipzig, Munich, and Würzburg as well as Braunschweig, Breslau, and Kattowitz starting in 1942/43. The start of World War II not only led to the cancellation of additional class 01.10 unit, it also soon led to drastic cuts in express train service. This meant that another area of intended use was withdrawn for the 55 units of the new super Pacific delivered by September of 1940. In addition, the streamlining soon caused enormous problems (among other things, poor cooling) so that it had to be removed in the lower part of the running gear.
After the war all 55 units were in the West Zone again, where they were put back into operation by July of 1950 (the exception being road no. 01 1067, retired on July 7, 1948). They were put back into operation without the streamlining however. All of the locomotives were equipped from the end of 1953 to the end of 1956 with new, welded high-performance boilers with combustion chambers after the original boilers exhibited material fatigue. From 1956 to 1958, 34 units were converted to main firing with oil, whereby these locomotives became the most powerful express train steam locomotives on the DB (with the exception of the class 10). From 1968 on the remaining units were designated as the class 011; the oil-fired locomotives ran as the class 012. After being assigned to Bebra, Hagen-Eckesey, Offenburg, Kassel, Osnabrück, and Hamburg-Altona, the remaining units were gradually gathered together starting in 1967 in Rheine (Westphalia). There they pulled passenger trains until May 31, 1975 on the main line to Norddeich Mole.
Ten units of the class 01.10 remain preserved in museums or as operational units. Road no. 01 1102 was overhauled in 1996 and made operational again. It has new streamlining to remind people of the original look of the locomotives. Road no. 01 1075 preserved in the Netherlands was converted back to coal firing. Road numbers 01 1066 (Ulm Railroad Enthusiasts) and 01 1100 (DB) represent the class as they last looked on the DB.