To Oberammergau with the E 69
Road number E 69 02 harkens back to the early years of electric motive power. This unit gave service as the oldest electric locomotive on the German Federal Railroad from 1954 to its being retired in 1981. It is closely linked with its original route, the branch line Murnau – Oberammergau, until 1938 owned by the Local Railroad, Inc. of Munich (LAG) and known as a route to bring people to the famous Oberammergau Passion Play that takes place every ten years. Road number E 69 02 was placed into service on May 19, 1909 as LAG 2 "Pauline" and had its first big test to prove itself in the following year during the Passion Play performances. After just a few years doing a "guest performance" in Heidelberg, it was back on its original route until 1981 performing reliably and can now be found in the Nürnberg Transportation Museum.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) E 69 electric locomotive and three Prussian design compartment cars, 1 each type B3, 1 each type C3 with a brakeman's cab, and 1 each type C3tr. "Bottle Green" paint scheme. Locomotive road number 69 02. The train looks as it did in 1952.
|Gauge / Design type||H0 / 1:87|