Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class E 44.
Model: 2 axles powered by means of 2 motors. Except for a few separately applied parts, the body and frame are made of metal. The locomotive has doors that can be opened. The roof is made of plastic. The locomotive has 2 pantographs. It has a built-in digital high-efficiency propulsion for operation with DC power, AC power, or Märklin Delta/Digital. The locomotive has adjustable maximum speed and acceleration / braking delay. It has a built-in sound effects circuit for digital operation with locomotive operating sounds and a whistle that can be turned on and off. In addition, the Telex couplers mounted on the front and rear of the locomotive can be controlled in digital operation. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel and can be controlled digitally. They are on constantly in operation with DC power, AC power, or Märklin Delta. The brightness of these lights depends on the voltage present in the track. A locomotive figure is included. Minimum radius for operation 600 mm / 23-5/8". Length over the buffers 47.8 cm / 18-13/16".
After an interruption due to the great economic crisis, the electrification of the German State Railroad's network was continued starting in 1930. New, powerful locomotives were needed for the new routes. In the meantime, the German railroad industry had developed new concepts and prototypes for modern general purpose locomotives. This design from Siemens showed clear progress compared to the provincial railroad designs of before that had been merely developed further. This unit was designed as a lightweight, general-purpose locomotive and was built on a welded frame, mounted on trucks with integrated buffers beams and powered with axle-suspended motors. This gave this compact locomotive a total weight of 78 metric tons without the need for pilot trucks and still below the critical 20 metric ton limit for axle loads. The modern motors" output of 2,200 kilowatts or 2,950 horsepower was available directly at the axles without the need for an expensive mechanism. The maximum speed reached on level track was 90 km/h / 56 mph. The first unit was successfully tested and placed into service by the German State Railroad as early as 1930 as the E 44 001. Additional regular production locomotives with a maximum speed of 80 km/h / 50 mph were ordered immediately, initially for the route from Stuttgart to Augsburg (with the Geislingen Grade). The German State Railroad purchased a total of 174 regular production locomotives, of which 45 remained in East Germany. Seven more locomotives were built new for the German Federal Railroad and several were equipped with push/pull controls or resistance brakes. The indestructible E 44 was in regular use well into the 1980s - at the end as the 144 (DB) and 244 (DR).