Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) type 058 6-axle railroad rotary crane car (Ardelt) with a lifting capacity of 57 metric tons, with a crane tender car (converted from a type Rms Stuttgart car) and a type 631 tool car. Chrome oxide green paint scheme for the steam crane. With the coat-of-arms for the city of Ludwigshafen am Rhein. The cars look as they did around 1977.
|Kind||Freight Car Sets|
Model: The crane car has an mfx+ digital decoder and sound functions. The crane superstructure with its boom can be rotated 360° on the ring gear. The boom can be raised and lowered by means of a pulley. The main hook made of metal can be raised and lowered by means of a pulley. The crane cab lighting can be controlled digitally. Two floodlights on the boom can be controlled digitally. LEDs are used for the lighting. The crane car has a built-in smoke unit that can be controlled digitally. 4 support arms can be swung out manually and they can be positioned with spindles on the bases included with the crane car. The smoke stack with a smoke hood can be removed or installed. A counterweight made of metal can be partially removed and placed on the buffer attachment. The crane car has a 6-axle car frame and a crane housing constructed of metal. There is a stake car (converted from a type Rms Stuttgart car) with a guide block as a crane tender car. A former Interchange Design type Gl "Dresden" boxcar functions as a type 631 tool car. The minimum radius for operation is 437.5 mm / 17-1/4"! Total length over the buffers approximately 40 cm / 15-3/4".
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item number 23457.
Ardelt Type 0589 Rotary Steam Crane Railroads need cranes specially adapted to perfection for their requirements. These units must ensure appropriate maneuverability and mobility on the track with and without a load, efficient power for lifting, supporting, positioning, and excellent maneuverability even in tricky areas difficult to access. There was a lot to clear away in the Western Zones after World War II and the DRG thus ordered four steam cranes in 1948 from the firm Ardelt. These units had a lifting capacity of 57 metric tons and were delivered in 1949. They were rostered by the just established DB as Essen 6660, Mainz 6600, München 6664, and Wuppertal 6602. The main tasks of these cranes were placing locomotives and cars on the track, bridge construction sites, and reloading. A reversible 75 horsepower two-cylinder steam engine in the steam-powered crane provided the required drive mechanism. All four cranes were retired in 1978/79, but the former "6600 Mainz" from the maintenance facility in Ludwigshafen remains preserved at the Auto & Technology Museum in Sinsheim.