Prototype: Bavarian class G 5/5 heavy freight steam locomotive with a type 2´2 T21,8 tender. Design version from the third production series. Group Administration Bavaria dark green basic paint scheme for the German State Railroad. Road number 5856. The locomotive looks as it did around 1923.
Model: The locomotive has the new mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel, mounted in the boiler. 5 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive and tender are constructed mostly of metal. A 72270 smoke unit can be installed in the locomotive. The dual headlights change over with the direction of travel. They and the smoke unit that can be installed in the locomotive will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. A third light on the front of the locomotive and on the tender for on-coming trains changes over with the direction of travel and can be controlled separately in digital operation. Maintenance-free warm white LEDs are used for the lighting. There is a close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotive and tender. The front of the locomotive and the rear of the tender also has a close coupler with a guide mechanism and an NEM pocket. The minimum radius for operation is 360 mm / 14-3/16". Piston rod protection sleeves and brake hoses are included. Length over the buffers 23.5 cm / 9-1/4".
Freight cars to go with this locomotive can be found in the Märklin H0 assortment under item numbers 46085 and 46803.
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item number 22029.
Bavarian G 5/5, DRG/DB 57.5 The Bavarian State Railroad purchased 15 class G 5/5 locomotives for the steep Bavarian grades as early as 1911. Following Bavarian tradition, these five-axle units were designed as four-cylinder super-heated compound units. They generated around 1,650 pounds per square inch and were thus superior to all other provincial railroad designs. A bar frame was another modern feature. One each high-pressure cylinder and an outboard low-pressure cylinder were attached to a cast piece. Outboard-mounted Heusinger valve gear with stirrup pieces provided steam distribution to the high- and low-pressure cylinders by means of common piston slide valves. All four cylinders were connected directly to the third wheel set. In 1920, additional locomotives followed the units from the first series. These additional units were strengthened in their design and had higher performance. Eighty locomotive of the successor series were delivered and placed into service by 1924. The G 5/5 was the most powerful five-axle steam locomotive of all the German provincial railroads and could pull up to 1,210 metric tons up a grade of 0.5 % at a speed of 40 km/h / 25 mph. They easily left the Prussian G 10 and G 12 as well as the later DRG classes 50 and 52 in the dust. The DRG only took over seven units from the first series with road numbers 57 501-507. The successor series by contrast was fully taken over by the German State Railroad, and the units were given the road numbers 57 511-590. After World War II, only about 20 units were still in existence mostly in storage in the area of the later DB. The greatest part of them were retired as early as 1947, and the last G 5/5 units followed in 1949.