Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 39.0-2 passenger steam locomotive, 2-8-2 wheel arrangement. Built starting in 1922 as the class P 10 for the Prussian State Railways. The locomotive looks as it did around 1964. Use: Standard passenger trains and light express and fast passenger trains.
Model: The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder and a sound generator. It also has controlled Softdrive Sine high-efficiency propulsion, and a compact design, maintenance-free can motor. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive and tender are constructed mostly of metal. There is a close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotive and the tender and it can be adjusted for curves. A 72270 smoke generator can be installed in the locomotive. The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel. The headlights and the smoke generator, which can be installed in the locomotive, will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The back of the tender has a close coupler with a guide mechanism and an NEM coupler pocket. Minimum radius for operation is 360 mm / 14-3/16". Piston rod protection sleeves are included. Length over the buffers 26.6 cm / 10-1/2".
The 39390 steam locomotive is being produced in 2009 in a one-time series only for Insider members.
The Class P10 / BR 39 – A Powerful Locomotive in the Mittelgebirge Region. In 1919, development began at the firm of Borsig in Berlin for a passenger locomotive with a 2-8-2 “Mikado” wheel arrangement. Its job was chiefly to master heavy express train operation in the Mittelgebirge region. It could often be seen on the Main-Weser line, the Eifel line, the Schwarzwald or Black Forest line, the Gäu line, and in Saxony. Between 1922 and 1927, a total of 260 units of this locomotive with four driving axles left the builder's halls that the German State Railroad Company (DRG) designated as the class 39 and that were indispensable after World War II in both of the German states. These locomotives measured 22,890 mm / 75 feet 1-3/16 inches long and weighed 100.4 metric tons. They reached a maximum speed of 110 km/h / 68 mph with their three-cylinder running gear and had an indexed performance of 1,620 horsepower. However, the class 39 exceeded the required axle load of 17 metric tons considerably so that several of these powerful locomotives could not be used until the rail lines had been improved. The P 10 was considered to be the most powerful passenger locomotive among the provincial state railroads. On the German Federal Railroad most of these locomotives were equipped with Witte smoke deflectors and the type 2’2’ T 34 tender, which replaced the type pr2’2’ T 31,5 tender. The DB retired the class 39 in Stuttgart, where the last three units disappeared from service in 1967. For the German State Railroad of East Germany the 85 locomotives remaining there were indispensable and they were included in the rebuilding program there and afterwards designated as the class 22. Road number 39 230 on the German Federal Railroad was preserved and you can currently see this impressive locomotive in the German Steam Locomotive Museum in Neuenmarkt in Upper Franconia at the foot of the famous/infamous “Schiefe Ebene” grade.