Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 50 steam freight locomotive with a cabin tender. Witte smoke deflectors, 4 boiler domes, shortened running boards, DB Reflex glass lamps, and without inductive magnets. Road number 50 1581. The locomotive looks as it did around 1967.
Model: The locomotive has an mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel, mounted in the boiler. 5 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive and tender are constructed mostly of metal. A 7226 smoke unit can be installed in the locomotive. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel. They and the smoke unit that can be installed in the locomotive will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. Maintenance-free warm white LEDs are used for the lighting. There is a permanent close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotive and tender. The rear of the tender and the front of the locomotive have close couplers with NEM pockets and guide mechanisms. The minimum radius for operation is 360 mm / 14-3/16". Protective piston sleeves, brake hoses are included. Length over the buffers 26.5 cm / 10-7/16".
A tank car set to go with this steam freight locomotive can be found under item number 46536.
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item number 22785.
Class 50 Steam Freight Locomotive The class 50 locomotive came into being shortly before the start of World War II as the last of the so-called "standard design steam locomotives". From April to July of 1939 Henschel built the first twelve locomotives which was soon destined to become the German State Railroad's most successful design, because this 2-10-0 locomotive with its approximately 1,600 horsepower and 80 km/h / 50 mph speed quickly became a general-purpose, sturdy, reliable unit. The outbreak of war on September 1, 1939 caused a leap in the demand for freight locomotives, and the twelve pre-production locomotives were followed by another 3,152 units over the course of the next few years. After the end of the war the DB had more than 2,000 units, which were gradually equipped with the small Witte in place of the large Wagner smoke deflectors, and which mostly lost the running board skirting. The so-called freight train baggage cars were not available in sufficient quantities and formed a big problem on freight trains in the Fifties. Finally, the idea came about of installing a cabin on the 751 tenders of the class 50 units for the train crews. Two large windows ensured a good view to the rear of the train and inside the cabins, there was still room for large work surfaces with table lamps, upholstered folding seats, two emergency seats, a folding washbasin, a ceiling light, two shelves, steam heating, hot plates for heating meals, a water container, and clothing hooks. The class 50 units with or without cabin tenders remained "the" all-round steam locomotives for freight and passenger trains on main and branch lines right up to the end of the steam locomotive era in 1977.