Prototype: Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) class 1018.0 electric locomotive in the so-called blood orange "Jaffa" paint scheme. Rebuilt version corresponding to the ÖBB standardization of this class starting in 1966. The locomotive looks as it did around 1984.
Model: The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder and a controllable locomotive whistle sound. It also has controlled high efficiency propulsion. 2 axles powered. Traction tires. The triple headlights and 1 red marker light change over with the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation, and can be controlled digitally. The headlights are the so-called "Stielaugen" or "Telescope Eyes" headlights. The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs and the marker lights are maintenance-free LEDs. The engineer's cabs and engine room have interior details. The body has numerous separately applied details. The locomotive has prototypical double-arm pantographs. It also has a finely detailed frame with a prototypical reproduction of the quill type driving wheels. The buffers are metal, separately applied, and come in both a convex and a flat version. Length over the buffers 19.5 cm / 7-11/16".
The class 1018.0 is the right locomotive to go with the 43205 passenger car set that is also coming out in 2011.
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item no. 22683.
ÖBB Class 1018 In the mid-Thirties the first concrete plans were made for electrification of the West Railroad from Salzburg to Vienna. The Austrian State Railways BBÖ of that time awarded a development contract to the industry for a locomotive with 3,500 to 4,000 horsepower and a speed of 120 km/h / 75 mph for this electrification project. The designs presented in 1935 by the industry differed greatly and made use of quite different technologies, but as a whole were not satisfactory. A look over the fence at the German neighbor was very close and a solution was found with the outstanding German E 18. The contract stipulated the delivery of eight locomotives starting in the summer of 1939. The mechanical part was taken to a large extent from the E 18 while the electrical equipment was adapted to meet Austrian requirements. The locomotive had to reach its best performance at a speed of 90 to 100 km/h / 56 to 63 mph; a maximum speed of 130 km/h / 81 mph appeared appropriate. The takeover of the BBÖ in the course of the annexation of Austria in March of 1938 delayed the design work, since the German State Railroad now adapted the plans again as much as possible to the German E 18. Only the traction motors and transformers that were already being built remained as Austrian elements. The eight units, now designated as the class E 18.2, were finally delivered between February and August of 1940 to the German State Railroad. Seven units remaining the end of World War II reached the roster of the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) and were used from 1953 on under road numbers 1018.01-05, 07, and 08. With their 5,160 horsepower they were the most powerful express locomotives in Austria until the appearance of the ÖBB class 1010 and exceeded by far the German E 18 with its 4,000 horsepower. Since these units were still indispensable in the mid-Sixties, the ÖBB decided to carry out a modernization program on them with new wiring as part of a major overhaul. Four units were still in use until 1992.