Prototype: Two Swiss Federal Railways (SBB/CFF/FFS) class Ae 3/6 II electric locomotives. One unit in an Era II version, the other in an Era III version.
Model: Both locomotives come with an fx decoder and controlled high-efficiency propulsion. All 3 driving axles as well as both jackshafts are powered. 2 traction tires. The Swiss headlight / marker light code (triple headlights / white marker light) change over with the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation, and can be controlled digitally. The direct control (acceleration and braking delay) can be controlled with a Control Unit or with Märklin Systems. Locomotive 1 comes in an Era II version with the original brown paint scheme, engineer's cab doors on the ends of the locomotive, and separately applied walkover grab irons. Locomotive 2 comes in an Era III version with pine green paint scheme and prototypically sealed doors on the ends and without walkover grab irons. Length of each locomotive over the buffers 17.1 cm / 6-3/4".
This double locomotive set is being offered by Trix (22344) for two-rail DC systems.
A Sturdy Classic - The SBB placed the class Ae 3/6 II in operation from 1923 to 1926 chiefly for express and passenger train service in the Swiss midlands. The 4-6-2 wheel arrangement ("Pacific") and the use of side rod drive was the result of a focus on prototypes of the fading Swiss steam locomotive era. Viewed from this perspective, the Ae 3/6 II design was not exactly innovative. However, the 60 units built turned in good results and their almost proverbial reliability ensured them an extraordinarily long service life. Over the course of their long career these locomotives were adapted several times to new operational requirements. In addition to technical modifications, the changes were particularly noticeable on the outside of the locomotive when the side cab doors on the right side of the respective cabs at the front of the locomotive as well as the front doors on the ends of the locomotive were welded shut to reduce the considerable drafts into the locomotive. During a subsequent overhaul the ends were sealed completely because rust developed in the welding seams. The paint scheme on the locomotives also changed to reflect the design concepts in the various eras. Road number Ae 3/6 II 10439 has been rebuilt to a large extent to its original state, is painted brown again and even remains preserved as an operational museum locomotive to this day.