BR V 188, DB | Gauge H0 - Article No. 37283

Heavy Diesel Locomotive.

Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class V 188 double unit diesel electric locomotive. Version in a crimson red paint scheme. The locomotive looks as it did at the beginning of the Sixties.

Heavy Diesel Locomotive.
Article No.37283
GaugeH0
Design type1:87
EraIII
KindDiesel Locomotives
Article not produced anymore.

Highlights

  • Double locomotive with 2 motors.
  • Realistic diesel locomotive sound.

Product description

Model: The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion. Both locomotives have a motor. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The triple headlights and the dual red marker lights change over with the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation, and can be controlled digitally. The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs, and the marker lights are maintenance-free red LEDs. There is a special close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotives. Length over the buffers 25.8 cm / 10-1/8".

One-time series.

Publications

- New items brochure 2010 - Product programme 2010/2011

Prototype information

The class V 188 double locomotives (from 1968 on: class 288) enriched the motive power roster of the German Federal Railroad as exotic diesel electric units with a remarkable past. In 1939, Krupp had a contract to build two super cannons, which were the largest artillery cannons ever built: the railroad cannons "Dora" and "Schwerer Gustav 2" ("Heavy Gustaf 2") with an 80 cm / 31-1/2" caliber and a range of up to 47 km / 29 miles. In 1941, this contract was supplemented by another, somewhat smaller cannon with the name "Langer Gustav" ("Long Gustav"). Three trains were required to bring a giant cannon with a weight of around 1,350 metric tons to its emplacement. The Germany army ordered six double locomotives with diesel electric power transmission from Krupp to haul the train and to provide electrical power for setup and use of the immense cannons. Each type D 311 locomotive unit consisted of two close-coupled halves with rigid frames and four wheel sets. Each half had a 940 hp PS starker, turbo-charged six-cylinder series motor from MAN. This unit drove a DC generator, which in turn powered the four traction motors suspended from the axles. The electrical equipment for the locomotives came from the Siemens-Schuckert plant in Berlin. Engineer's cabs were only present on the outer ends of the "Twin Locomotives". The first two double locomotives, road nos. D 311.01A/B and 02A/B, were delivered in October of 1941; two more followed in August of 1942. It was not possible to build the last two unit as well as the third cannon, since Krupp's production facilities had been largely destroyed by air attacks. The first, totally oversized cannon built, "Dora" was only used once on the front at Sevastopol and was blown up in 1945 along with its sister cannon. Three of the four double locomotives did survive the war, and two of them were overhauled at Krauss-Maffei between 1948 and 1951. The DB assigned them the road numbers V 188 001a/b (former D 311.03A/B), V 188 002a/b (former D 133.04A/B), and V 188 003a/b (former D 311.02A/B). The last unit mentioned was not overhauled but was kept a long time for spare parts. The two overhauled locomotives were initially assigned to the Aschaffenburg District and were used there for pusher service on the Spessart grade between Laufach and Heigenbrücken. Starting in 1953 they were used somewhat less successfully to haul freight trains to Schweinfurt, Bamberg, and Dillenburg. The old MAN motors increasingly caused problems. The two locomotives were therefore equipped with new 1,000 hp (later 1,100 hp) Maybach motors by 1957/58 as well as new gear drives from Gmeinder. After that they worked excellently and were used by the end of 1958 in the Aschaffenburg District, then in the Gemünden District, and from 1967/68 on in the Bamberg District in heavy freight service. After sustaining great damages the two war veterans had to be retired on September 25, 1969 (288 001) and on June 15, 1972 (288 002) as part of the general program to rationalize the motive power. Later they were scrapped.

Features

)Metal frame and locomotive body.
cDigital locomotives with high-efficiency propulsion. Maximum speed and acceleration / delay are adjustable. Special motor with electronically enhanced load compensation or a compact bellshaped armature. Can be operated with Märklin transformers, in the Märklin Delta system or in the Märklin Digital system. One controllable auxiliary function (function), when the locomotive is being run in the Digital system.
eDigital decoder with up to 32 digitally controlled functions. The quantity depends on the controller being used.
hBuilt-in sound effects circuit.
NTriple headlights and two red marker lights that change over with the direction of travel.
UMärklin close couplers in standard pocket with guide mechanism.
3Era 3

Warning

ATTENTION: not for children under 3 years
Control UnitMobile StationMobile Station 2Central Station 1/2Central Station 3/2
Headlight(s) XXXXX
Diesel locomotive op. sounds XXXXX
Locomotive whistle XXXXX
Direct control XXXXX
Sound of squealing brakes off XXXX
Headlight(s): Cab2 End XXXX
Brake Compressor XXXX
Headlight(s): Cab1 End XXXX